Make Sound not War
From SoundInGames.com - Sound Design in Games
|The card's front face||The card's back face|
|Exploring sound to create alternatives to conflict.|
In a moment when so many games tend towards belligerent narratives, it is relevant to think of audio as a creativity opportunity, also to come up with ideas that offer alternatives to those types of conflict.
- Nature provides many insightful examples of the use of sound to address conflicts, instead of actual physical confrontation, namely through the evaluation of the other party’s potential. The ability to perform sound – loud, long, accurate, ... – is many times an indicator of potential – health, size, maturity, ... Examples include: passerine birds singing to dispute territory, dogs barking, etc.
- [pending: references to some interesting resources in this matter. e.g.,: David Attenborough "the winner is the one who sings the longest" (something like that)].
- Spore's Siren Song http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Siren_Song
- Spore's Soothing Song http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Soothing_Song
- Baraka 12:29 (chapter 4): ancient rituals of confrontation through vocalizations